Cataract And Glaucoma
Cataract and glaucoma are two commonly occurring eye disorders. Both can lead to loss of vision and adversely impact overall eye heath due to extensive optic nerve damage.
In cataracts, the normal, clear lens of the eye becomes clouded. As a result, for people suffering from cataract reading, driving a car at night or noticing facial expressions becomes difficult.
Symptoms of cataract
- Blurred, dim, or clouded vision
- Increased difficulty with visibility at night
- Abnormally high sensitivity to lights and glare
- The need to have a very bright light for reading purpose
- The experience of halos surrounding lights
- The requirement to frequently change eyeglasses or contact lenses under prescription
- The fading or colors
- Colors appearing yellowish
- Double vision in one eye
If prescription glasses are unable to make vision clear, then cataract surgery is the effective treatment only.
In glaucoma, many eye conditions are involved. They cause damage to the optic nerve, often because of extremely high pressure experienced by the eyes.
Symptoms of glaucoma
Initially, glaucoma does not manifest any symptoms. Then, it slowly shows a build-up. Symptoms include:
- The appearance of patchy bind spots in peripheral or central vision, often affecting both eyes
- Tunnel vision during advanced stages
- Blurred vision
- Extreme sensitivity to bright lights causing halos
- Eye redness
- Pain in eyes
- Severe headache
Vision loss caused by glaucoma is irreversible. Treatment options include regular application of eye drops, taking oral medications, surgery, and other therapies.
If detected early, it is possible to prevent glaucoma by carrying out the following self-care measures.
- Getting dilated eye exams done regularly
- Knowing the family history about eye health
- Exercising the eyes cautiously
- Taking the prescribed eye drop regularly
- Wearing eye protection
Make an immediate appointment with your ophthalmologist or optometrist for an eye examination if any sudden change in vision, such as blurriness, eye pain, light flashes, comes to your notice or you experience severe headache.
- Mon-Thu 10:00 – 04:00
Friday 10:00 – 04:00
Phone: 011-47037000, 8800863699